Contractor: Kuna Engineering | Position: Survey Field Technician | No. of positions available: Up to 12 | Downloadable Job Description
Survey Field Technician Job Description:
Survey field technicians assist Kuna land surveyors by operating survey instruments and collecting information in the field, and computations and data reduction in the office. Field work includes operating survey instruments and collecting information in the field, working under professional land surveyors and project surveyors, and by performing computations and data reduction in the field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work primarily in the field on control, boundary, subdivision, construction staking and topographic surveys, on two-person field crew in remote areas of Alaska.
- Accurately run and adjust survey measuring instruments including GPS equipment, total stations with electronic data collecting capabilities, and levels.
- Take accurate and clear field notes and performs note reduction.
- Perform mathematical calculations and checking of field data.
- Perform office work for ROW, control, boundary, subdivision, and topographic surveys, i.e. data reduction, field note reduction, calculations, data checks and staking computations using survey programs and AutoCAD Civil 3D and TBC on a computer.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Other duties that are pertinent to the survey department’s success also may be assigned.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Strong background in mathematics and communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic sources of measurement errors.
- Knowledge of principles of monumentation, staking and marking.
- Must be physically able to work long hours and carry heavy loads.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather in an arctic environment.
- A valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record for the past three (3) years to be eligible under company vehicle insurance policy.
- Experience working in remote areas of Alaska is preferred.
- Previous experience working in construction.
- Experience using AutoCAD C3D or other drafting programs.
- Experience with ARCGIS or similar programs.
- College education in related fields. (Geomatics, Engineering, Project Management.)
- Professional, highly self-motivated, passionate, energetic, creative and strategic thinker.
- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Always acts with customers in mind, knows how to establish and maintain effective relationships with customers/prospects and gains their trust and respect.
- Desire to improve personally, increasing ability and skillset.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Weather: Indoors/Outdoors – Frequent exposure to moderate to harsh weather conditions. Requires work to be done both inside and outside.
- Noise level: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Description of environment: Frequently required to be outside at construction/project sites. Also occasionally inside in standard office setting.
- Physical requirements: Employee is required to occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 lbs. Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, use hands/fingers to handle or feel, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk/hear, see, taste/smell, and carry weight/lift.
- Travel: Travel required. Employee will travel to remote areas and may be required to use alternative modes of transportation, including but not limited to snow machines, boats, small airplanes and ATVs.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Shareholder Preference
KUNA is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NANA grants employment preference to shareholders of NANA and their spouses and descendants to the extent allowed by law.
It is KUNA policy to conduct background checks, drug testing and a physical assessment, as applicable, once an offer has been accepted, in accordance with company and/or contract requirements.
If you are a job seeker with a disability and require accessibility assistance or an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please submit a request by telephone or via email. In order to appropriately assist you with an accommodation, we ask that you please specify the assistance needed in order to access our jobsite and post for a position. The dedicated email and telephonic options are listed below and are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance.
To request an accommodation by telephone, contact us at: 1-800-478-2000 To request an accommodation by email, contact us at email@example.com
May - September, 2 weeks on, one week off.